11.03.2011

New York City Part 3


On Friday morning, after sleeping in until close to eleven (ahhhhh), we went to Clinton's for their yummy brunch. There was a long wait, but we weren't bothered and just walked around the streets nearby admiring the architecture and shops.  When we finally got in to eat, we went with their famous pancakes and eggs benedict (known for their yummy muffin it sits upon). It was really really good. Although, if I'm being honest in my food critiquing, I would have to say that I have had better homemade pancakes and syrup in my day. Just saying. My eggs benedict was pretty amazing though, and they had a french toast with caramelized bananas on the menu, that although we never tried, looked really good. 




After breakfast we walked around Soho and checked out some of the shops and street vendors there. I loved Soho. I especially loved walking down the streets just to the side of Broadway, where it is a little more quiet and there are cuter boutiques to check out. 



I loved the building that Madewell was located. The two tone red and green brick, and ladders were an eye catcher. 


We happened upon this really neat perfume store off one of the side streets in Soho. I loved the design of their store, and I loved their whole concept of truly making 'one of a kind' perfume (as opposed to the more commonly mass produced perfumes you buy at the mall) by making it right there in the store for you to take home. Too bad I am not a perfume girl (gives me headaches), but it was still worth checking out.

I loved this apothecary chest they used to display their candles. 

I also loved their wall display. So clean and modern.

Another cool building.

I have no idea what this church was, but we walked by it on the way to the Subway and went inside to check it out. I have no idea the name and didn't take a picture of the outside, but the inside was pretty neat as you can see. I love all the old chapels and churches around town. 

Steve said his favorite thing was walking the side streets of Soho. It reminded him of Denmark. Must be true because he is (kinda) giving me a smile in this picture. Ha! (if you don't know already, or haven't figured it out, Steve is not a big fan of getting his picture taken.. so a picture with a smile (or half smile) is a pretty big deal). 


They had the most darling baby boutiques in Soho. I was drooling over a lot of their stuff. Too bad the price tag was a little out of our budget. $90 for a 6 month old shirt? No thank you.

I thought these little kits were pretty darn cute.


The hustle and bustle of the city is kind of exciting. Would maybe drive me crazy after a while, but we enjoyed it.

Street vendors had some really pretty jewelry on display

Note the hat above... you might see it again soon.

I had to post this picture because this would happen- ALOT. I would stop to take a picture of something and Steve wouldn't realize and he'd keep walking only to soon find I was no longer next to him. He would then look back to see me taking a picture of something. This time he happened to be in it... and I only laugh because he totally looks bugged. Sorry, babe!

Steve's Dad was telling us about these adorable penguin looking shoes at Camper. We happened to walk by the store so we went in to check them out. How adorable are they?!?! Perfect for a boy or girl.

After Soho, we headed over to Mary Martha's place to check out her sweet apartment and view of the city. Her apartment has floor to ceiling windows and an unbelievable view of manhattan. You can see the iconic triangle shaped Flatiron building in the middle. 

Not sure what building this is..

Oh hello there Empire State Building! We went atop Mary's apartment building to get a close up view of the Empire. It was beautiful up there and had an incredible view.... 


Apparently I'm afraid of heights (which I discovered a long time ago when my family went to the top of the twin towers when I was young and could not get close to the windows). Its not that I'm scared or think I'm going to fall, but I get very dizzy and feel like I'm going to pass out. It started happening on top of Mary's building... so weird... so we didn't stay up there too long.  Anyone else have this happen to them?


Check out that building with the garden/restaurant on top of it! Crazy.

For dinner, we met up with Klane & Angie at Land Thai Restaurant on Amsterdam Avenue for, you guessed it, Thai food. The food was really good, but what I remember more then dinner was dessert- cupcakes at Crumbs.

Check out all the choices

Steve went with Reeses Peanut Butter and I went with the classic Vanilla with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. The cake was perfectly moist and the frosting was excellent. Angie said her favorite cupcake place is Sprinkles, which we did not end up trying while we were there (sad), but Crumbs certainly did not disappoint. 

3 comments:

Mary Martha said...

You really captured this city. My goodness. Thank you for including me in so much of the fun. It was such a treat to walk around with you both. Thank you for the memorial ticket. Thank you for donuts. Thank you thank you. Love you much!

Traci said...

Oh man, so so fun! I'm so glad you got to do this and that now I am living it through you and your beautiful photos!

Angie said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about the pancakes at Clinton Street. The friends I went with were making me think I was being some kind of pancake snob for not thinking they were amazing. Haha.

I am amazed at Mary Martha's view!! That is so awesome.

I LOVE JAYNE'S COW HAT! Now I want to buy one, just so I can save it and have my future child wear it in like four years. Haha.

And you made me want to get out and explore the city more! I love your pictures. I really need to get out more.