1.26.2012

wanna go grocery shopping with me?

Like I've said before, little man loves the sunglasses

I thought it might be fun to show you guys where we grocery shop. Random, maybe, but we go there every day and the food is one thing that takes adjustment to when moving to a new country, so I figured I'd share. 

When we were in Denmark, one of the biggest things I had to learn to adjust to was the grocery store. There, they are significantly smaller and for the most part, they only carry the basics. You won't go finding little things like semi-sweet chocolate chips, thai curry paste, or green enchilada sauce. They carry the usual staples you'd think of (with the exception of stuff to make sushi- they love their sushi), and then they only carry 1 (maybe two) brands of that item. Also, food there was outrageously expensive, so every shop at the grocery store was a little depressing. This was very different from the states where you can get an array of different brands for several different items, and you can find pretty much anything you need for a recipe at the grocery store.

In Chile, it's a whole other story. The grocery stores are huge!  They have significantly more brands of one item than the states. For example, while you may have 1 or 2 large refrigerators full of a few brands of milk in the states, Chile has an entire aisle filled with various brands. While you may find a small section of butter in the dairy aisle, Chile has an entire aisle devoted to butter. Your grocery store might have 2 or 3 different brands of olive oil on one shelf in the baking section. Chile has an entire aisle shelved from top to bottom of, you guessed it, just olive oil. Various brands. Catch my drift?  At first it can seem a little confusing. When we went for my first time and walked down the milk aisle I asked Steve "So... which one is the milk we would drink?" to which he says "All of it. Just pick one." It's almost a little overwhelming trying to decide from so many options of all the same thing. 

At the same time though, you won't find the little things you might need in a recipe.... like baking soda (which I have yet to find). I'm sure they have something like it but I haven't figured that one out yet. That isn't to say the states trumps them all. I am sure people from other countries, who come to live in the states, fail to find items they typically use in their country. So it's just the way it is, and it's all good. 

As far as pricing, Steve seems to think it's slightly more expensive then the US (but nothing like Denmark), but I feel like it's pretty closely the same. 

My favorite part of the grocery store is the bread section. They bake the most amazing bread daily for customers. It is fresh, it is different, it is delicious. It goes without saying (but I'll say it any way) we've been eating a lot of bread since we've been here. They also carry packaged name brand bread as well. 

The left side of the milk aisle. 

The right side of the milk aisle. Yes, all milk comes in small cartons. Makes it much easier for storing, and fitting in your fridge when using. 

Tons, and I mean TONS of produce. 

 MORE produce.

This is where you get your eggs. I think we are one of the few countries that refrigerate our eggs. 

Oh yeah, even more, fresh produce. I love it!

That massive amount of yellow there, that would be your butter section... and it goes even further on the other side. 

The yogurt aisle... from beginning to end. I will say, I love this too. I love me some good yogurt. They have this greek yogurt that comes with all different additions- coconut, papaya, mango, etc. I haven't seen it in the states but I'm curious if they sell it there. It is amazing. 

Check out lanes. They have this place set up so you can't even leave without checking out your food. Well, I take that back, there is a small place at the far end where you could leave if you didn't buy anything, but it's guarded- not that we'd be sneaking anything out by any means, but just to show how it's different. Things here are much more protected. Denmark grocery stores were the same way. It's a tad annoying though because the lanes are SO narrow and close together that we can't fit our stroller through. So each time we go, one of us has to wheel the stroller to the opposite end while the other checks out, and then we meet at the exit. Not a big deal, but just how it is. 

The entrance/exit to the store


Wasn't that fun?

7 comments:

Liz Berey said...

I'm curious what the prices of food like there! Wasn't Denmark an issue because everything was so expensive? How does Chile compare to the US?

Rachel said...

looks overwhelming to me!! I just learned that the US has to refrigerate our eggs because of the chemicals they use on the eggs to clean off the gunk from the chickens. Apparently it strips the eggs of their protective layer so they need refrigeration!

Kim & Clay said...

This reminds me of the grocery stores in Australia. The security -- the bread, the produce ... I'm curious though -- how does that unrefrigerated milk taste? The same? So interesting!

Jessie said...

i want some of that bread!!! looks amazing. oh, and the produce?? wal.mart needs to take some notes! hah. what a fun post.

The Coons Family said...

This is probably really random... But you and I were in the same ward freshman summer semester and my husband and Steve were in the MTC together... Anyway, my parents are serving as mission presidents in northern Chile and baking soda comes in little tiny packets. We usually send my mom packages of baking soda and brown sugar because they are both hard to find. Also, Lider (which is the same company as Wal mart) has the brand "Great Value" and you came find American items. When we visit that's where we get Apple juice, cookies, baby food... Etc. Hope that helps!

Kate and Peter Lowe said...

Holy cow I am so behind on your blog- and you are an amazing blogger, especially since you've moved and all! Way to go! Funny you mentioned the eggs, thats one thing my brother always told us about Chile, they don't refrigerate their eggs. Anyway, looks like you are doing great. You make it look so easy, moving, adjusting and living in foreign country. You are so my "cool" friend :) Love you and miss you! Good luck with everything!

Angie said...

It actually WAS really fun! I love all the detail. Now I am craving bread. And I am really surprised that they have sooo many options and soooo much food in that store. I always thought America was known for having too much food and too many options. I guess our stores are probably filled with more processed foods though.