4.10.2017

Rose's Birth Story



Rose's due date was December 2nd but I could tell leading up to it that she was was bigger than my others and I probably wouldn't make it. I had never felt that uncomfortable before with any of my other pregnancies. At the same time though I didn't want to get my hopes up for an early birth so I just planned on the 2nd anyway. On Monday the 28th, I treated myself to a manicure and pedicure since at this point I was getting very little sleep, taking care of 4 kids while 9 months pregnant, and felt like I'd earned it;) My mom was in town at this point, everything was ready to go for baby, so it was just a waiting game. The pedicure felt amazing and I wonder if the foot massage is what triggered my labor to begin. It wasn't long after that I started having more noticeably tighter contractions. They weren't intense or consistent enough to go to the hospital, but it confirmed my belief that I was most likely not going to make it to my due date. That night we had a crazy snowstorm. We were thinking of driving to alpine to get a second car for my mom to use, but the roads were so bad that we thought it best not to brave the roads. We put the kids to bed and then went to bed ourselves. I sat up at about 1:30am with a big contraction that hurt. I timed them for a bit and then tried to go back to sleep. I woke up again at 3:30am with another huge contraction. I was hesitant to wake Steve since I wanted him to get as much sleep as possible to prepare for delivery. As I timed them they grew more consistent, intense, and when they were 4-5 minutes apart, I woke up Steve and we headed to the hospital at 4:30. We picked up my brother Ryan on the way so he could drive our car back home and watch the kiddos so my mom could join us at the hospital in the morning. I remember how pleasant the drive was. We were the only car in site while huge fluffy snowflakes were falling onto a few inches of fresh fallen powder. It was so pretty!

Everything at the hospital went smoothly. They checked me in around 5am and I was at a 5 1/2 dilation. Even though I wasn't in much pain, I got my epidural shortly after. At 8am I was at an 8 1/2 and the doctor arrived at that point and broke my water. We were ready to meet this baby! Crystal, Kate, and Monette came to watch the delivery as well. At around 8:40am I began pushing and after just a few short pushes she was born! She had dark brown hair and looked so much like Jayne as a baby. 

We initially named her Stevie after Steve. I had to do some serious convincing to get Steve on board. But it wasn't until she was born that it felt so weird to call her that.  Probably more for me than anybody else since I'm his wife, but it didn't feel right and I felt like we were forcing ourselves to try and like it. We had talked about calling her Evie or Stevie-Rose but then we found out from the kids that Evie was a popular Pok√©mon character, lol, but mainly it just didn't feel right either. We really liked Steve-Rose but quickly discovered that double names don't work very well - people don't catch on, and everyone would shorten it to Stevie so it didn't really solve the problem. It was seriously so stressful trying to figure out this baby's name. Rose was a name I fell in love with while living in Denmark looking at names when I was pregnant with Vinny but didn't know the gender yet and had always thought we'd use it if we had another girl. However, I grew hesitant because I felt like I had seen it grow in popularity.  But after looking at literally thousands of baby names I knew I needed to just go with what we loved best! So when she was just shy of three months, we agreed on dropping the Stevie and naming her Rose (middle name Frances. Francis is Steve's middle name so she still shares a connection with Dad). We barely made the deadline so it didn't cost anything and took about 5 minutes to do. It was SUCH a relief to finally have a name that we loved and that perfectly fit this sweet pretty girl! 

I am so indebted to my sister for taking these priceless pictures of her birth. Also to Monette, Kate, and my mom for taking more photos and video and being there as support during delivery. I got so emotional going through them and it makes me SO baby hungry. Whoops. We've settled on this being our last baby, but you guys, after writing this post I am opening up the possibility for another! Steve will say "no way" but give him a few years.... I know he'll start feeling it too. Nothing has ever topped the feelings of meeting our babies for the first time. It is hands down the BEST DAY EVER. 










Rose Frances Magleby
November 29th, 2016
8 lb 8 oz
20 1/2 in long

























More from the Iphone:

It was so sweet to see the kids meet their baby sister for the first time. This was a long time waiting for Jayne who had been praying for a baby sister for many years. They loved her right off the bat. Even our baby Hans had no hesitancy accepting her. Watching them all huddled around her is a moment I will remember forever.

The kids got to help bathe her and each took turns holding her and loving on her. Jayne even got to have a late night with me one night and just hang out with me and baby sister. It was so special. 

I love the peaceful time at the hospital. It can be annoying having nurses checking in every five seconds but worth the quiet atmosphere and time alone with just me and the baby. Plus getting food delivered to you throughout the day :) I love it.



















The two pictures below were the day we came home from the hospital. The kids were so excited to have her home. I was so excited to be in a comfortable bed again. The two days at the hospital are heavenly for me, but I am done after that and ready to be home. The day we got home it started snowing again and it was such a peaceful feeling nursing her in my bed with snow falling out my window. 



I wish I could relive this all over again!