8.08.2017

Jayne's Baptism in the Lake!


Our sweet Jayne Middie was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on a beautiful stormy evening the first day of August in Deep Creek Lake, Maryland. She was surrounded by all 17 of her Richards cousins, 8 aunts and uncles, and both sets of grandparents as she was baptized in the lake that she has been coming to every summer since she was born. It holds a special place in her heart, and likely will forever after this day!

There was no forecast for rain but somehow the craziest storm swept over the house minutes before we started the program. It seriously came out of nowhere, so we quickly brought everyone inside. Her Grandpa Eric gave a great talk on Baptism and then prayers were answered as the storm and rains let up just in time for her to walk down to the lake and be baptized. It was so cool to see her and Steve walk out hand in hand into the water and then watch him baptize our oldest daughter. It's a site I will cherish forever. 

When we came back to the house to get her changed, the rain returned. It couldn't have been more perfect timing. After her baptism, her 10-year-old cousin Danny gave the sweetest talk on the Holy Ghost and then she was confirmed by her Dad as he blessed her (with the participation of her Grandpas and uncles) with the gift of the Holy Ghost. A detail I want to remember: Steve got emotional as he started the blessing and Jayne did too. After he finished, she gave each of them a hug and then ran to hug me and started bawling. I asked her what was wrong, and she said, "I didn't think it would make me cry" and I said, "Jayne, you know that Daddy isn't sad, he cried tears of joy because he is so happy and he felt the spirit so strongly" and then she said, "I know, and it was the same thing for me." I sure love that tender hearted girl.

We closed the program with the cousins singing When I am Baptized with my brother Adam on the ukulele (video below). He even sang a verse in Chinese for Jayne. I love that song so much. I especially love this verse and the rain and it's symbolism during her baptism.

I like to look for rainbows whenever there is rain 
and ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again. 
I want my life to be as clean as earth right after rain. 
I want to be the best I can and live with God again.

I'm so grateful that Jayne chose to be baptized and for her faith to follow Jesus Christ and His example. I hope she'll remember how she felt on this special day and live her life to be worthy of the companionship of the Holy Ghost to help guide her and bless her throughout her life. I'm so grateful for worthy and faithful priesthood holders in our family who were able to be apart of such a big day for Jayne and for everyone that helped make the day so special. She is a lucky girl to have so many amazing people and examples in her life!

Monette made Jayne the most gorgeous creamy lace dress for her baptism program. She looked so beautiful!!! She also got to wear another special dress made by Monette for her actual baptism that her Aunt Lauren, Aunt Kate, and Aunt Josephine were also baptized in. What a treasure for her to have these special dresses made from her grandma to wear on such a special day. 


Jayne was so nervous and giddy and kept busting out these cheesy funny poses during our photo shoot, haha. She cracks me up. 



























The newest member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! At least for a few seconds, anyway ;)  I love this picture of her under the umbrella. She's also carrying her new set of scriptures with her name engraved on them and a scripture bag she can take them to church in that Steve and I gave her after her baptism.

Shortly after the program, the storm cleared and we all gathered around the firepit down by the lake for homemade donuts (Jayne's request!), pie and ice cream, and this incredible sunset view.

It was a day to remember!


1 comment:

Sarah said...

So special! I totally forgot to ask about this! So glad you posted so I could almost feel like I was there. :) love that sweet Jayne!!