10.13.2009

insomnia: some good news!

well yes, and no. the good news is that i am almost positive that i figured out the root cause of my insomnia issues- birth control. it kind of came to me as an "ah-ha!" moment and i don't know why i didn't realize it sooner. i started thinking back to when i first started noticing my insomnia problems. i knew it couldn't be stress/worry cause i was sleeping really well after she came (in fact, quite deep sleep cause i was so exhausted each night). i also had a hard time attributing it to breastfeeding (i thought maybe my body was waking me up on its own to "feed") because for a solid two weeks i was breastfeeding but still sleeping (even when she was sleeping for long stretches and i wasn't needing to feed her). finally it dawned on me that my symptoms started happening at deep creek, about a week after i started my birth control shot. i did some research online and found a wealth of information and personal stories from others linking birth control to insomnia. how interesting! so, good news is that i'm going off birth control and will (cross your fingers) be able to sleep again. bad news is that i'm going off birth control...(yikes)... and also that it will take a couple more weeks still for the first shot i had to wear off. sorry if this was all a little tmi but i seriously find it interesting and maybe others will too.have any of you heard of this link before? now i got to figure out a plan B so we don't have another tyke joining our family sooner than we'd like but also be able to sleep...

6 comments:

Shannon and Kevin said...

I really hope this is the answer! I can't believe you've been struggling with this for so long. A part of me hopes you do get pregnant again soon so that if I do too, then they could be buddies.

J and Rachel Kirkham said...

I'm so glad you figured it out! I had the same problem actually. I got the shot shortly after Chloe was born and experienced the same thing. My doc told me that was a side effect so I switched to the pill once my shot wore off and didn't have any problems. I wish I had known you had the shot I could have nailed it at the beginning!!! LOVE YOU!

Angie said...

I had never heard of the insomnia side effect OR the shot! What is this shot thing? I've never even heard of that kind of birth control. If I were you I'd switch to Nuvaring. LOVE it. So much easier than trying to remember a pill every day, and I haven't had side effects. Hope you're on your way to a full night's sleep!

The Romney Family said...

Nice work, detective! So glad to hear you finally nailed the problem down, but I'm sorry about the birth control dilemma... That's annoying. I've actually never taken any form of birth control so I can't offer much advice there if you're looking for a similar replacement method, but if you want to stay away from it for a while or for good, I could definitely give you some useful info on natural bc methods (and no, I'm not talking the rhythm method here--it's legit, I promise!). A little extra effort each day, but best part about it: absolutely NO side effects! Anyway, let me know if you're interested, and either way, I hope you figure something out soon. Although it WOULD be fun to be pregnant together. ;) Don't you want another little Jaynie? haha jk

Mary Martha said...

I was the complete opposite. But I wasnt taking the shot. When I went on birth control, I slept sooo much it was crazy. I was requiring like 9 hours of sleep. I had never slept so much in my life. Glad you figured it out!

s day said...

SOOO glad that you figured it out (hopefully.) Life is miserable without sleep. Wish I had some helpful info on birth control but the ONLY upside to Infertility is that I don't have any "birth's to control!" So I'm off the hook as far as "the pill" goes. I did try "the patch" birth control once (before i knew I couldn't get PG) and it had crappy side effects that I can go into futher detail in an email if you need info :0) Good luck.